Three people have died following a massive avalanche in St. Anton am Arlberg on Friday, February 20, as the Austrian state of Tyrol grappled with a day of deadly avalanche accidents amid high danger levels across the region.
The slide struck in the afternoon in the free-ski area near the Rendlbahn sector and was visible both from the village and from the ski area, according to eyewitnesses. Witnesses described a dramatic scene as a “huge avalanche” tore down the mountainside and ran far into the valley. St. Anton mayor Helmut Mall assured guests that there was no danger to residential areas.
Related: 2 Foreign Skiers Killed in Avalanche at La Grave, France, After Entering ”Stronly Discouraged” Zone
A large-scale emergency operation was immediately launched. Police, mountain rescue teams and multiple helicopters were deployed to the scene, with the constant thrum of rotor blades echoing through the valley as rescuers coordinated efforts. “In the beginning I thought it was something small in an area around a ski post,” eyewitness Diego Gonçalo told SnowBrains. “But then the rescue teams and helicopters started moving in and things got much more tense.”
According to police updates throughout the evening, five people were caught in the avalanche. Two were initially confirmed dead at the scene. Three others were pulled from the snow alive. One of the rescued victims required resuscitation on site and was transported to hospital. By Friday evening, authorities confirmed that the individual had died, bringing the death toll in St. Anton to three. Another injured person was flown by helicopter to a hospital in Innsbruck. A third survivor was also receiving medical treatment. Officials have not released further details about their conditions.
Related: St. Anton am Arlberg, Austria, Report: Low Visibility Changes to Inversion Up High
Local search and rescue described the avalanche as “huge” and said it reached down toward the valley floor. It was initially unclear how many people had been on the slope. Four mountain rescue teams and at least three helicopters were involved in the response. The precise circumstances of how the avalanche was triggered remain under investigation. Rescue coordination continued into the evening.
At the time of the accident, avalanche danger in the region was rated 4 out of 5 (high) on the European scale. Such a rating indicates that avalanches can be easily triggered, even by a single skier, and that large natural avalanches are possible.
The accident occurred in open, ungroomed terrain outside secured pistes—terrain that, while accessible from lifts, is not avalanche-controlled in the same way as marked and groomed runs. It is important, especially for American guests, to understand that inbounds terrain that is not marked and groomed is considered off-piste by European resorts and is as such not subject to avalanche control unless it impacts lift or resort infrastructure or could impact guests on groomed runs.
St. Anton am Arlberg is one of Austria’s most iconic ski resorts and a cornerstone of the Arlberg region, widely regarded as the cradle of alpine skiing. The resort is part of Ski Arlberg, one of the largest interconnected ski areas in Austria, offering more than 300 kilometers (186 miles) of marked pistes and extensive off-piste opportunities that attract advanced skiers from around the world. Renowned for its challenging terrain, deep snow, and vibrant après-ski culture, St. Anton also sits in serious high-alpine terrain where avalanche risk is an inherent part of winter travel.
Unfortunately, the St. Anton avalanche was not the only deadly avalanche in the Austrian state of Tyrol. In Nauders, a 42-year-old German skier was killed after being swept away by a 400-meter-wide avalanche while skiing off-piste with his 16-year-old son. The son was injured but survived. Rescue helicopter Robin 3 and local mountain rescue teams responded, but resuscitation efforts for the father were unsuccessful.
Additional avalanche incidents were reported in Fulpmes and Alpbach, where several people were caught in slides. In Alpbach, a 17-year-old girl was resuscitated at the scene and flown to hospital. In Fulpmes, one person was reportedly unharmed.
In total, four people were killed in avalanche accidents in Tyrol on Friday. All of these avalanches occurred in off-piste terrain. Authorities continue to urge extreme caution and plead with visitors to stay on marked and groomed runs.
The post Massive Avalanche Kills 3 in Popular Austrian Ski Resort St. Anton appeared first on SnowBrains.
Ссылка на источник: https://snowbrains.com/massive-avalanche-kills-3-in-popular-austrian-ski-resort-st-anton/